Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sowing seeds


There are two things you need to know about me in order for this picture to really make sense.

1. I'm fairly new to gardening, and not yet adept at identifying seedlings.

2. Last year I attempted to start seedlings indoors and they all died when I tried to transplant them. I know now several things I did wrong, but I didn't feel up to trying again this year.

This year, I'm just putting the seeds in the garden and seeing what happens. The weather is nice and warm here in Sacramento right now, so I planted a few seeds along with a couple of plants I got at the nursery.

My concern is that seedlings and weeds might appear at the same time and I, in my ignorance, might pull up the plants that I want to keep while leaving the weeds to thrive.

I saw a post over at Compost Confidential about using toilet paper cores to start seedlings, and it inspired me to recycle them for my own purposes.

I didn't need the full length of the tube, so I cut them into thirds, labeled them with the type of seedling to expect, and placed them in my garden. I planted the seeds in the middle of each circle then watered thoroughly.

Now, it may be that I've done something foolish with this, but if it works it will be very helpful to me. Time will tell.

No comments: